The Carpenter’s Daughter began in 2016 after receiving a few stern words from my fiance. He reminded me that my popular food blog and YouTube channel, Tastefully Vikkie was taking priority over the house we’d bought in 2014 that badly needed renovating.
So begrudgingly, I agreed to take some time away and focus on converting the camper van we always wanted. But the last thing I wanted was to get my DSLR camera dirty, so only used my camera phone.
Within a few weeks, I felt devastated. My half-arsed camera efforts while documenting my journey were thriving compared to my real love for food and cooking.
But then, the more I tackled little DIY jobs, the more my confidence grew, followed by a massive sense of achievement. The thing is, I assumed I wasn’t capable of most projects, so I’d procrastinate and feel immense fear.
I’d always grown up with a family woodyard business. There was once a time I was shorter than my Dad and Grandfather’s mill saws. But it was my brother who had to work there for his £5 pocket money on Saturdays. I on the other hand was relieved.
Instead, I turned to a life of English and Journalism, then got trapped in the world of fashion retail management for most of my adult life. I’ll be honest, it smartened up my dress sense, style and high standards (including expectations) of customer service.
The main reason I only started doing DIY in my 30s is that house prices were expensive and what’s the point in renovating a rented property?
To me, DIY is about investment as well as better living. But now, it’s also my way of life; to learn new skills I never thought were possible and tell every man, woman, boy or girl that they can too.
Another sweet perk that comes with what I do is receiving picture messages from elated novices that also can’t believe they’ve made something with their bare hands. Also when pros give me tips, advice and encouragement.
And now with already having social media experience with a blog that reaches 1.2 millions hits a year and almost a decade in retail management, I have a unique understanding of the blogger and branding world.
I can offer insight of what often works and what may not to determine the likelihood of a campaign that can ultimately fit in with my DIY life and journey.
APPEARANCES & ACCOLADES
- 3rd Best Homes & Interiors YouTuber for 2018 by HIBs100
- Will be joining the Walks Around Britain team as a TV Presenter as of Autumn 2018
- BBC’s Right on the Money, July 2018
- Presenter for Van X, Ambassador for JYSK
- Finalist in the AMARA Interior Awards 2017, BiBs2017 and Shortlisted for Best DIY Idea on Pinterest, 2018
- Regular panelist on BBC Coventry and Warwickshire Radio including advertorial radio appearances.
- Featured in Reloved Mag, Co op Mag, The Yorkshire Post, Sine FM, Mumsnet, Doncaster Free Press, Star and South Yorkshire Times.
- I’ve worked with Tefal, Frylight, Sainsbury’s, Arla, Lidl and many more as Tastefully Vikkie
I now work as full time cook and DIYer between both here and Tastefully Vikkie.
If you’re a brand looking to encourage more every day people through one of my projects, please drop me an email and I will reply with my media kit with rates and can brainstorm ideas.
- All content is written by me and created with honesty.
- I do not accept guest posts or paid follow links. Nor do I have time to reply.