This Chilli Chicken tray bake is so simple and delicious to make, yet so healthy! It can be made mild or hot, using chicken thighs with optional breadcrumbs or flour a for more bite.
When life’s too short and I’m hungry, I can always count on whipping up a tray bake.
They’re easy, only need some veg prep and cook all in one pan.
However, I did take the chicken a step further and breaded and seared it for a quick KFC style twist.
IS CHILLI CHICKEN TRAY BAKE HEALTHY?
Yes, chilli chicken tray bake is very healthy where 4 portions works out just over 500 calories each. That is, providing you also ensure you removed all skin and fat from the chicken thighs. Or, alternatively, you can pay a little bit more to save yourself time using chicken breasts instead.
Another added twist I made for extra bite was to bread and pan fry the chicken thighs first. This way, they’re great finger food and so delicious! However, if you skip this, it will obviously bit a bit leaner.
It’s also fully loaded with juicy peppers, tomatoes, chilli and potatoes for filling carbs. Although if you like to pile things on your plate, you may want to double some of the ingredients as everything will shrink considerably.
CAN I FREEZE CHILLI CHICKEN TRAY BAKE?
Sadly, I’ve never frozen my chilli chicken tray bake, but assume it is much better freshly baked.
However, you are fine to store in the fridge stored in an air tight tupperware container for up to 5 days.
To reheat, simply place back in a baking dish, cover with tin foil, then reheat at 180 degrees for 20 minutes. This heats it through, but prevents the chilli chicken tray bake from drying out and burning.
WHAT EQUIPMENT DO I NEED?
To make the chilli sauce, you will need a mini food processor. I used my mini Savisto 3 in 1 blender which I find much easier to clean than bigger models.
However, if you have great chopping skills, or the time, you can finely chop all the ingredients listed and give it a good stir.
And other than a carving knife and chopping board, choose a deep 30cm long roasting dish as a minimum. Remember, the bigger, the better to pack extra veggies on the tray!
HOW TO MAKE CHILLI CHICKEN TRAY BAKE
Making chilli chicken tray bake is very simple! Apart from chopping veg, just preheat your oven and place all your veggies in the basking dish.
However, what is optional, but I highly recommend it, is to set up an egg wash and breadcrumb station and roll in the chicken.
Then sear the breaded chicken in a frying pan, place on top of the veg and blitz the sauce in a mini food processor. Next, you’ll need to drizzle the chilli sauce over the chicken and bake for about 30 to 40 minutes.
Chilli chicken tray bake is delicious all on its own. However, if you want to bulk up your meal even more, then consider upping the ingredient quantities before baking.
Other great dishes are a rainbow style rice or a simple serving of pasta.
Bare in mind, as it’s all syn free as it uses 1 person’s Healthy Extra B, there’s nothing stopping you eating it between 2 people instead.
3 MORE TRAY BAKE RECIPES YOU MIGHT
Chilli Chicken Tray Bake
- Frying pan
- Large baking tray
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- 1 egg whisked
- 40 g flour or breadcrumbs
- 6 tomatoes halved
- 5 chicken thighs or drumsticks If using more, you'll need to add more flour or breadcrumbs
- 1 red pepper deseeded & sliced
- 1 green pepper deseeded & sliced
- 400 g baby potatoes halved
- 3 to 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 to 2 small red chillis deseeded and roughly chopped *depending how hot you like it
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Preheat your oven at 200 degrees.
- Add the oil to a large frying pan. Then set up a two bowl station: one with whisked egg, the other with flour or breadcrumbs.
- Roll the chicken thighs in the egg wash, then dip in the flour or breadcrumbs and place in the large frying pan to sear. Repeat until all are done and pan fried until golden.
- Then place all the tray bake vegetables in the baking dish, followed by the chicken thighs on top.
- Now blitz all the chilli sauce ingredients in a mini food processor and drizzle over the chicken.
- Scatter the rosemary on top, then drizzle with a little bit more olive oil before baking in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes. The chicken should start to look charcoaled. And serve!