This healthy fish pie is so easy to make for the family and is so comforting after a long day.
I’m trying to get back to a healthy balance while I work hard juggling with DIY. I never really thought it could be so challenging.
You see, the problem is, I like to get in the zone while I work. I’m like a dog with a bone when tackling new techniques. Then I suppose in comes adrenaline and I forget about food.
And when hunger finally strikes, it feels all so sudden. In truth, I’ve probably been ignoring tell tale signs and realise I haven’t got anything prepared.
HOW EASY IS THIS HEALTHY FISH PIE?
Making this healthy fish pie recipe is so simple. All you really need to do is boil the potatoes. Then meanwhile, heat up the milk and flour with herbs until it thickens. I have a little healthy cheat below.
Then place your fish in the bottom of a baking dish, followed by the sauce. And top with mashed potatoes with a sprinkle of low fat cheese.
It’s quick as the fish bakes right through while the whole dish is in the oven for about 20 to 25 minutes. And that’s it!
WHAT FISH DO I NEED FOR HEALTHY FISH PIE?
I like to make savings when I cook most of my meals. (Unless it’s a special dessert). And while I went shopping for my healthy fish pie ingredients, I discovered the instant saving was to buy a prepacked fish pie mix.
Although it’s dearer by the pound, it costs much more buying the fish separately. Or you could of course cut what you need of the following and freeze the rest for another meal.
- 130g smoked haddock
- 130g salmon
- 130g cod
- And prawns if you wish
CAN YOU FREEZE THIS HEALTHY FISH PIE RECIPE?
Yes, you can freeze this healthy fish pie!
When there is a mashed potato topping on any of my recipes, I freeze before cooking.
That way, it avoids over burning the top. Or you could bake then reheat in the oven from frozen with tin foil.
PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER…
10 MORE HEALTHY FISH RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE…
- Smoked Haddock & Sea Bass Kedgeree
- 3 Low Fat Fish Canapes
- Healthy Fish Chowder
- Skinny Fish Noodle Soup
- Italian Fish & Brown Rice Soup
- Healthy Sweet Chilli Salmon with Horseradish Egg Fried Rice
- Korean Prawn & Tofu Soup
- Tuna & Cauliflower Curry
- Salmon Carbonara
- Breaded Lemon & Parmesan Salmon
Healthy Fish Pie Recipe
- Baking dish
- Lidded sauce pan
- 1 kg potatoes peeled & quartered
- 390 g skinless & boneless fish pie mix *Or 130g each of salmon, smoked haddock and cod, diced
- 25 g flour
- 25 g low fat butter spread
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 onion diced
- 400 ml milk semi or skimmed
- 50 g sweetcorn
- 50 g garden peas
- 20 g reduced fat cheddar grated
- Preheat the oven at 200 degrees.
- In a large saucepan, boil the potatoes until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large 1ltr microwavable jug, add the milk, butter, onion, bay leaves, mustard powder, oats, seasoning.
- Then microwave in 1 minute bursts, stirring in between until thickened. This should take approximately 7 minutes.
- Now place the diced fish in a large baking dish, including the peas and sweetcorn. Pour over the white sauce and make sure everything is coated well, but remove the bay leaves.
- Next, mash the potato, adding a dash of tbsp or two of milk and salt until creamy and spoon over the top of the fish in white sauce. Season to taste.
- Create grooves and peaks with a fork and sprinkle over the low fat cheese and bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden.