The moment my old Bissell carpet cleaner broke, I felt rather lost.
I’m not big on hoovering, but I have fond memories of when I’ve brought old dirty carpets back to life. And they’ve been miraculous moments.
I once took it to my old work’s staff room to clean the carpets in prep for a focus group (my area manager couldn’t believe the results). I also saved myself over a grand when I got an crazy quote to clean the inside our first camper van (which was filthy).
And last Summer, I’d finished installing some 3d wall panels which left me wanting to complete the rest of the hallway.
I felt the happiest I’ve ever done with our house as we’d held off on a lot of things as it’s a huge ongoing DIY project. But little did I know I’d get a second wind and want to have a go at installing my own fencing, patio and gravel driveway.
So, it didn’t take long for all three of us to traipse mud in.
The Vax Platinum PowerMax does almost the same job as my old carpet cleaner, but works slightly differently. (Note: I think it extracts more mud).
All the extra features need to be plugged in and are stored away in an external bag. Whereas with the Bissell, everything’s attached and the settings are changed with just the flick of a switch.
That being said, it’s the easy switch feature that broke on my Bissell, leaving only the hand tools to work, so I expect there’s less chance of the Vax failing in comparison.
Other pros in my opinion:
- The Vax is much lighter to move around
- The water tank is MUCH easier to fill and empty with no annoying bag inside that traps dirt in hard to reach places
- The hand tools are more impressive as the spin brush tool is the best I’ve ever used
- It extracts much more dirt from the carpet. The sediment at the bottom looked like pure soil
- I must remember to be organised and always keep the bag of attachments hooked to the cleaner when not in use.
- I’m not convinced on the hardwood floor squeegee yet. It didn’t remove dried spills, so I used my Vileda spray mop instead for my laminate flooring. It would be perfect to suck up spills immediately though.
MY FULL VIDEO REVIEW WITH BEFORE & AFTER RESULTS
With tools such as these, I don’t think words are as effective, so here’s my full video review so you can see for yourself. I not only cleaned all my carpets; I also tested it on a few things that I know had stains on them, such as:
- my sea grass carpet rug where spot cleaning hasn’t worked with store bought spray bottles
- My old dressing table chair with stains that are 15+ years old
- A blackcurrant Lemsip stain
- My dirty hall carpet
MY CARPET DIRT PREVENTION TIPS WHEN DOING DIY
- Consider installing coconut matting for your entrance to wipe your feet. I love mine and is easier to change than a whole carpet over time
- Use off-cuts from your carpet to lay down in the entrance too to protect your installed one
- Use carrier bags so you can pop in and out of the house when you need to
MY YOUTUBE VIEWER’S TIPS
- Use plastic overshoes
- Consider wearing zip side steel capped safety boots instead of laced ones
- Use Screwfix No-Nonsense Carpet Protector
If you want to follow my DIY and life journey, then why not subscribe for free updates?
Disclaimer: I received this Vax Platinum PowerMax carpet cleaner as a PR sample to review on my blog only. This is not a sponsored post, it is 100% honest and has helped resolve a genuine problem we’ve been living with.